National Exactech Knee Recall Lawyers Representing Your Interests
A recall of Exactech knee replacements, which affects hundreds of thousands of patients, has been announced by the FDA. You may have received a generic letter from your doctor informing you of the recall. However, many patients have not received any guidance on what to do next or what their legal options are. At Greg Jones Law, P.A., we can help you navigate both the medical and legal aspects of this recall. The implant manufacturer will have a team of experienced lawyers on their side; don’t you deserve the same? We will fight for your rights and aggressively pursue the proper compensation to which you are entitled. Call us today to schedule a free consultation and learn about your legal rights: (855)566-3752.
Why Were Exactech Knee Replacements Recalled?
The FDA recalled several types of Exactech knee replacements in 2021, along with other kinds of Exactech implants, including ankle and hip replacements. The recall was due to an issue with the product’s packaging. The packages were not sealed with a vacuum seal, which potentially allowed oxidation to occur to the components. This oxidation can lead to premature deterioration of the implant, which can cause pain and require revision surgery. This recall may affect up to 145,000 knee implant patients. If you’ve had a knee replacement since 2004 with components manufactured by Exactech, contact your doctor immediately for their medical guidance and to discuss a plan of action to prevent further injury. You can also contact us at Greg Jones Law, P.A. to receive further info on the affected makes and models of Exactech knee replacements and to begin a free, no-obligation consultation.
What Kinds of Personal Injuries Can Result From a Faulty Knee Replacement?
Getting a knee replacement is a major choice that is typically made to reduce pain and regain mobility in order to live a more active life. When making this choice, you are trusting that the implant will be reliable and improve your quality of life. When a knee replacement fails, it’s not only a physical setback; it can be an emotional blow as well after having gone through the required prep, surgery, recovery, and often uncomfortable physical therapy sessions. A knee replacement that deteriorates prematurely can cause major stress, pain, and loss of mobility and income. If you have had an Exactech knee replacement and are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may be entitled to compensation:
● Noise, such as grinding, coming from the joint
● Knee instability
● Inability to bear weight
● New or worsening pain or weakness
● A feeling of loosening in the joint
● Limited mobility
● Osteolysis (degeneration of bone tissue)
● Knee replacement failure or malfunction
● Revision surgery caused by any of the above issues
What Can Be Recovered in a Settlement?
Medical devices that are implanted are supposed to be held to a high standard of quality because they are integral to the functioning of your body. When these devices fail due to negligence or oversight, the consequences for patients can be dire. Implant defects often involve pain and discomfort for the patient and may lead to having additional surgeries to fix the issue or replace the implant entirely. This is why manufacturers of defective implants must be held accountable for the pain and losses caused by their products. If you have been injured by a defective Exactech knee replacement you may be entitled to damages, including:
● Pain and suffering: A degraded device can cause swelling, weakness, and instability in your knee. This can directly lead to pain, or it can cause painful falls and loss of sleep due to discomfort. Emotional and physical suffering takes a toll on your body, and while you can’t get back the time you’ve lost to those things, you ought to be compensated for what you’ve endured.
● Medical expenses: Knee replacements, along with the necessary follow-up visits and physical therapy, are incredibly expensive even if you have good insurance. If you’ve had to go through revision surgery, this cost has been doubled for you. You may be reimbursed for all of this if your implant was defective.
● Lost income: When you have a surgery, you often have to take a lot of time off work. Many people also need to be mobile to do their jobs. If your knee replacement did not work properly and you could not complete the duties of your job, you have a right to be paid for your lost wages.
● Permanent disability: If your faulty knee implant has damaged your body to the point that you are no longer able to work or complete your daily functions and it cannot be remedied by revision surgery, you may be entitled to permanent disability benefits.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer if You’ve Had a Defective Knee Replacement?
When a company makes a product that causes harm to its consumers, it should be held responsible. Medical device companies have entire legal teams dedicated to protecting their interests. You need to have someone fighting just as hard for you. At Greg Jones Law, P.A., we provide you with compassionate yet aggressive legal representation because we believe you deserve proper compensation for what you’ve experienced. We are here to help you with every aspect of your case: from coordinating your medical care to ensure that you do not experience more issues from the defective knee replacement, to actively pursuing all the compensation to which you are entitled. Contact us today at (855)566-3752 for a free, confidential case evaluation. Remember, if there is no recovery, we do not charge a fee.