Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) is a serious and sometimes debilitating condition that can be life threatening to some sufferers and cause permanent damage to others. With this information in mind, it stands to wonder if those people who are suffering from Stevens-Johnson syndrome or its more severe form, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TENS), are eligible for disability insurance benefits.

According to information found at, both SJS and TENS are considered bullous diseases. This means that they are characterized by fluid-filled blisters that occur at the onset of the condition. SJS and TENS both cause painful and potentially life threatening symptoms such as:

  • Painful rash that spreads
  • Blisters in the mucus membranes
  • Blisters in the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, palms of hands and feet and genitals
  • Peeling off of skin in large patches (much like a burn victim)

SJS and TENS can also cause permanent damage such as blurred vision, scarring, emotional damage, blindness and symptom recurrence. Those that experience SJS or TENS are more likely to suffer from it again in the future. With this information in mind, it certainly meets the requirements for filing a disability insurance claim. In fact, those who suffer from permanent blindness as a result of diagnosed SJS or TENS have a good case for it.

In order to be eligible for SSI disability insurance benefits, a claimant must meet the following requirements set by the government: “Social Security pays benefits to people who cannot work because they have a medical condition that is expected to last at least one year or result in death. Federal law requires this very strict definition of disability… some programs give money to people with partial disability or short-term disability.”

I think permanent blindness from SJS or TENS qualifies. The information needed includes:

  • Social Security number;
  • Your birth or baptismal certificate;
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctors, caseworkers, hospitals and clinics that took care of you and dates of your visits;
  • Names and dosage of all the medicine you take;
  • Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics and caseworkers that you already have;
  • Laboratory and test results;
  • A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did; and
  • A copy of your most recent W-2 Form or, if you are self-employed, your federal tax return for the past year.

If you have suffered permanent conditions from SJS or TENS, let Greg Jones help you with your disability insurance claim. I will work hard to help you get the money that you may be entitled to.